Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review: Sookie Stackhouse book 1

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Synopsis:
Sookie Stackhouse is a small time cocktail waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana. She’s quite, keeps to herself, and doesn’t get out much. Not because she’s not pretty. She is. It’s just that, well, Sookie has this sort of “disability.” She can read minds. And that doesn’t make her too datable. Then along comes Bill. He’s tall, dark, handsome - and Sookie can’t hear a word he’s thinking. He’s exactly the type of guy she’s been waiting for all her life...
But Bill has a disability of his own: he’s a vampire with a bad reputation. But he is an interesting addition to the town, and Sookie can’t help but listen to what everyone else thinks about Bill...especially since she’s starting to fall for the buff bloodsucker. But when a string of murders hits town - along with a gang of truly nasty vampires looking for Bill - Sookie wonders if having an undead boyfriend is such a bright idea.
And when one of her coworkers is killed. Sookie realizes that Bill and his friends may have some special plans for a woman who can read minds...
Review:
The summer of 2009 was when I first heard about Sookie Stackhouse. I was watching TV with my parents and my mom turned on True Blood. I stayed for a little, and then decided that it bit off Twilight and left to watch TV in my room. Well, I am happy to say, I was wrong. Maybe if I started watching the series at the beginning, or if I heard of the books before the series came on, I would have felt different. Yes both Twilight and Dead Until Dark deal with vampires, but Charlaine Harris took the normal approach to vampires. What I mean by this is that she went with vampires not being able to be out in the day, and how vampires can be killed with a silver stake and so forth. But what I think makes this book good, is that Sookie is special. I think her “disability” gives this book something that most vampire books don’t have. I just feel like there is something more magical about it, and yet there are no wizards or witches involved, go figure.
So what I really liked about the book was the conversations about Sookie and Bill. Reading them I thought it was so easy going, I felt like Sookie was comfortable around Bill in the normal human way, but nervous in the girl liking guy way (does that make sense to any of you?) I just thought it was sweet. I also really liked how Sookie felt like she needed to protect Bill from the people in her town and yet Bill thought he was protecting Sookie. I just really felt like this book was a great read. I think Charlaine Harris did a great job writing it, and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series. 
Cover: 9/10
Beginning: 5/5
Ending:         5/5
Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Grade:          49/50 = A+

No comments:

Post a Comment